Friday, January 28, 2011

Such a sweet surprise...



Wow - I am am so touched! Imagine my surprise when I read such a sweet note from Stacie over at No Idle Bread saying that she's given me a blog award. I think know I squealed a little. It isn't the fact that I received a way cool graphic or was linked, it was that I was included in a list of wonderful blogs that Stacie enjoys. I'm like everyone else... To know that someone may have smiled at some point while reading my simple little words makes me all warm and fuzzy. So, thank you, Stacie! I really appreciate it. Really and truly! It was a total surprise and a bright spot in a tough week.

I am a bit late in posting this because unfortunately the ick and yucky that snagged my girl last week snagged me (in addition to a back issue. I might be blogging about my very first chiropractor appointment if this doesn't let up!) I'm thankful that I am feeling better - slowly, but better - and that we have a weekend greeting us. I love the slow pace of the weekend! Come Monday I should have some more posts ready for my little neglected blog.

The rules of the award (kindly lifted from Stacie's blog lol) are as follows:

  1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
  2. Share 7 things about yourself
  3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers
  4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award

Let's get started with my seven things...

1. I'm a nurses kid, and for most of my life my mom worked in a pediatric hospital. Every time a child would come in with a strange injury I would lose a toy or privilege! I lost my skateboard when a kid had a broken collarbone. I wasn't allowed to play on a trampoline after a little girl was hurt. And don't even get me started on the summer that she wanted me to stay off the diving board! :)

2. Sometimes I have dreams so vivid that I wake up laughing - or crying. I had one this week about my uncle who passed last year. I could hear his voice as clear as day...

3. In my Psychology 101 class in college my professor was teaching us about birth order. He challenged anyone in the room to stump him. He was able to guess everyone's birth position in their family... except me. :)  I am the only child of my mother and father, yet I am the oldest of three to my father and my stepmother, and was raised in the house with my grandparents and uncles leaving me in a sort of "youngest of three" situation since it was grandparents/mom with the boys/me. I'm a walking contradiction who exhibits traits of the oldest, youngest, and only child all at the same time.

4. I really don't like cleaning the tub/shower. I can wash windows till the cows come home. I'll even scrub a toilet without complaint. Dishes? I got that. Just please, someone, anyone, scrub the shower for me!

5. I can't eat a meal without spilling something or getting something in my hair. True. I'm a mess. I spent nearly every lunch in high school with my best friend picking Cheese Curl dust from my hair. (You'd think I'd have out grown it. Not so. If I was able to make it down to GA to see her more often she'd be picking some sort of food out of my hair at each meal.)

6. I can't keep my bed made. My dog can pull down the covers. Evenly. With his teeth. Even if the corners are tucked in. For months my husband and I couldn't figure out how the bed was changing each day, but then we caught him in the act! He actually folds back the covers layer by layer, end by end. It's either the most talented thing I've ever had a pet do, or it's just plain weird. The jury is still out.

7. I miss the South with all my heart and am still homesick. Daily. It's been 11.5 years since I moved. At some point I hope that it will go away! Until then I have to hang onto the Word and know that either God has a plan for me to move back or He's working on teaching me how to be content with my situation. I'm guessing it's the second one. :)

Wow - those seven items went fast! Hopefully they weren't too boring and gave you a little insight into my personality. (Why do I think there should be some sort of warning label at the top of this post?)

Now for the really fun part! Here are some blogs that I enjoy. Each has been a wonderful bright spot to me. I hope that they are a new wonderful bright spot for you as well! They are listed in no particular order. I love each one. Let me say that it was hard to skip a few that Stacie listed in her post! (Ahem... Lady Rose...) It was also hard to skip Stacie! Her blog is fantastic, and she has such a heart for the Lord and her family. Please go read and show her some love. But, that said, it sure is nice to know that we share some of the same taste in blog reading. It makes me that much more excited about cruising through her list this weekend. I have a feeling my "blogs that I follow" list will get longer before Monday...

Some of my favorites:

1. Choosing Joy - De'Etta has inspired me for so many years. Whether it's through faith, homeschooling, family she motivates me! Plus, it's a great blog to visit if you love learning about daily life in another culture...

2. Veggie Converter - As a vegan married to a omnivore and mothering an undecided (who says she's vegan again), Kristi's blog speaks to me. No idea why. :giggle:

3. The Berry Patch - I love Lisa's blog! Her words ring true, and her photography rocks. :)

4. Praying for Noah - Please, stop and say a prayer. The life of this little guy is amazing, and the strength and faith that Kate exhibits is a walking sermon to how we need to live with and for God. I may not comment often, but I have to say that this is the one blog that I read each and every time there is a new post, without fail.

5. Growing Fruit - What can I say about Amy's blog? Love the reviews. Love the thoughts. All around likey. :)

6. From Diapers to Driver's Ed - A great homeschool mom, Holly writes intelligently, with faith, and a big heaping spoonful of humor. Love her. :)

7. Dreams Into Plans - Jen is a beautiful writer! Now, if I could just get over my procrastination to join her in her Thrift Store Thursday posts. My back hurts, remember? It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

8. Garden of Learning - I don't know if I like the memes or the faith-filled reflections or the homeschooling posts more. Brenda's blog rocks.

9. Extraordinary Life - This is a brand new blog find for me this week. In searching for GF/CF blogs I found Lisa's blog. She's got menu plans. She's got $10 dinners. And she's also got a Mexican Rice recipe that I've been dying to make all week. Now that I'm feeling better I think it's safe to say we'll have it tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to reading more of this blog.

10. A Life Better Than I Deserve - I love the reviews and comments that she shares, but most of all I love how real Michelle is - in a very nice and positive way. But still, real. Love that.

11. With Thankful Hearts - Another real blog. I just love how Heidi writes, and what she chooses to say. Plus, her photographs make me want to take more photos! And her blog is just so pretty. It really makes me want to clean up my blog... (It sounds like she makes me want to work but she really makes me want to sit and read. :)

12. Life at Willis Creek Ranch - I love Laura's blog! Another filled with great photography... recipes... homeschooling. Plus, she's a sweetie (who I get to see in a few weeks at convention! Woo hoo!)

13. Following The Narrow Path - I'm saying it again... another filled with great photography. Debbie's heart is so full. I just love reading about what she experiences and seeing the photos that go with it. Another sweetie with a heart for the Lord.

14. Homedaze - Renita keeps it real. Can you guess a theme with me? I love blogs that share the dirt as well as the desire... the fun and the funk. I love Renita's writing style and the way that she shares her heart. Like a few on this list I've gotten complacent in my blog following because I keep up with them on FB. However, I need to start visiting - and commenting - on the actual blog more often!

15. Green Acres - I'm a broken record, but it's SO TRUE. Real life. Upbeat. Beautiful photos. I just love Jodi's outlook, and I bet you will, too.

There you have it! My seven & fifteen! I'm not sure what I liked most about this, but I think getting to revisit some blogs and really think about why I enjoy them ranked at the top of the list. I know that I didn't have to write a note for each, but I wanted you, my friends, to know how special these each were to me. I didn't just copy and paste. I hope that I did them justice, and that you enjoy visiting with them as much as I do.

And, to end it on a note-stealing, well, note...

Stacie said it best so I'm paraphrasing:

Please know that I smacked gave you this award because your blog is something special to me. If you don't like awards, no offense taken when you ignore it. If you don't want to follow the rules and award others, I'm good with that, too. Just please know that it was meant with good intentions and a great big smile (followed by a plate of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies since I'm evidently obsessed with them these days!) Many kisses and much love to each of you awesome blogging ladies!


Now, go play. It's Friday!


6 comments:

Michelle Smith said...

Thank you so much for the blog award! I know it's been a few days since you awarded it, but I'm putting a blog post together now, I promise! Thanks for the sweet comments about me and my blog. :)

Stacie said...

Stephanie!!

I'm so glad that you accepted the blog award. Thank you also for your sweet and kind words. . .not just here, but also for the encouragement you left me on my blog. You are a sweetheart!

I read through your "7 things" and you had me laughing!
I'm a nurse's daughter also. For me, growing up, I think I knew more about germs than I wanted to. Especially when my mom pulled out her text books to show me what germs looked like under a microscope! LOL
And the one about your dog "un-making" your bed. . .that is hilarious!

I'll be off to check out the blogs you've listed here. Great idea to include a little description for each one!

I do hope you are feeling better soon, especially with your back. My kids decided to share their colds with me this week, so I know the feeling!

Take care.
Stacie

Stacie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jodi said...

You are just so sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words about my blog and for giving me the award! I'm honored. I'm going to try and post and pass it on this week! :)

berrypatch said...

Thanks for the award, Stephanie! I just finally posted about it on my blog. ;-) Better late than never! LOL

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

Thanks..better late than never on blogging it :)

http://growing-fruit.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html