Friday, November 5, 2010

Gratitude Challenge Day 5: Grace



It's been a hard week around these parts. My grandfather isn't doing so well and ended up in ICU yesterday. Honestly, I didn't want to write today's post. It wasn't that I wasn't thankful for something, or that I didn't want to participate in the challenge. I'm just plain tired! It was a long night ending with a very early start to the day with a sick puppy girl. I just haven't been able to think straight. So, I gave myself permission to just skip it this one time. I thought, "I deserve blogging grace after a night like last night."

And then it hit me.

Grace

That's what I'm thankful for! The grace that my child gives me when I get snappy because I'm tired. The grace that my husband gives me when I didn't get the dishes done (or when I tell him that he can pop a frozen pizza in the oven for dinner if he wants.) I'm thankful for the grace that my mother gives me when I am just too tired to talk more about the day's events.

Most importantly, I'm thankful for the grace that our Heavenly Father gives me when I mess up. And I do. It's that human thing. It just gets in the way! Without that grace I would be nothing, and I would have nothing. We are justified through His grace. We are redeemed through His grace. We are show love and forgiveness through His grace. It's truly a wonderful thing. So today I am so thankful for that Amazing Grace...

Side note - The hymn, Amazing Grace, holds a special place in our family. My granny sang it to each of us, and it was the first song that she sang to me as well as my daughter when we were both babies. It can calm me in a storm and make me smile even wider on a beautiful day. Such a wonderful gift to give us as a reminder!


For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. John 1:17 (NIV)





4 comments:

Lorus! said...

Stephanie - what a powerful post. I was in tears reading it. Sometimes I can not imagine why the Creator is willing to accept me, and even love me, when I can be so fickle, so impatient, so sinful. What a beautiful reminder though that He does!

Catherine said...

What a beautiful post. Where would we be without Grace? Thank you. I hope your grandfather is improving. xo

SisterTipster said...

Love the song too~and such a sweet thing to remember about your Grandmother. Thanks for such a beautiful reminder of God~His grace and the grace we offer each other! Thanks for sharing too~hugs!

Steph @ Wild Crickets said...

Thanks so much for the lovely comments! My grandfather is improving. Yea! And thanks for saying that it was a blessing to you. I feel like I need the daily reminders that I get from each of you and from each of the Gratitude Challenge posts. I need the reminder to accept grace and show grace (among other things!) :)
XOXO