Monday, November 15, 2010

Menu Planning Monday: November 15



Ah, Menu Plan Monday... how I've missed you! I've gotten a bit wordy in this "glad to be back" post, so feel free to hurry it up a bit and skip to the bottom.

I used to love participating in MPM ages ago in my former bloggy life. What fun it was! I know. It's either making me really interesting about now, or making me seem like I need more pizazz in my life. Peeking into the menus of others is considered fun for me. (I also read - yes read - cookbooks for kicks. I'm an odd bird I tell you!) It helped me stay on task and gave me fresh ideas to wow the family. However, once the blogging stopped so did my peeking and participate. I'm so glad to have it back. Hopefully it will have the same effect on my planning as well as budget!

Two of us (myself and the kid) are vegetarians while the other two (the husband and the grandmother) are what I would call flexitarians. They eat meat but will eat a vegetarian meal with me as well. Because my husband prefers meat-based meals I do have a tendency to use replacements such as Quorn Grounds or Quorn Tenders so you'll notice things such as "Chicken Pot Pie." Some vegetarians don't like it. Pish posh. It works here. (Though we might be integrating meat back into our meals on a small basis. I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience on transitioning back after being on a vegetarian diet!) We are also a dairy-free family but most recipes are adjusted so you'll find these recipes should work for most people. Yes, yes... Quorn isn't a dairy-free product, but the amount must be minimal because our daughter doesn't react to it.

Also, I'm adding in breakfast otherwise we wander like refugees through the kitchen asking someone to toss us a slice of bread or point us to the closest box of cereal. I'm desperately trying to reign in this time of the day. It's not marked which meal is which, but I leave it to your good judgment to sort that one out! Lunches tend to be soup and sandwich fare except on Fridays when I babysit. (This week... TACOS!)

Side note: Check out the free resources over at I'm An Organizing Junkie. They are fantastic! I didn't use them much this week because I'm having to fly by the seat of my pants since I haven't been feeling well, but I plan on utilizing many of these (especially the freezer cooking links!) It's on my list of things to accomplish in the near future before falling victim enjoying the rush of the holiday season.

One website that I had a lot of fun with this week came from another challenge Planner last week: 100 Nutritious, Delicious, Vegetarian Recipes for Picky Kids & Husbands

Let's see what the family will be eating this week. After peeking through a few links and peering into the fridge it looks like the winners are....

drumroll please...

Monday: (CP) Tempeh Breakfast Hash ; Crock Pot Enchiladas w/ Mexican Rice

Tuesday: (F) Apple Cinnamon Breakfast Couscous ; Cheesy Potato Veggie Soup

Wednesday: (E) Cinnamon Raisin French Toast ; Baked Mac & Cheese w/ Broccoli and Fruit Salad

Thursday: (D) Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burritos ; Cincinnati Style Chili Over Spaghetti w/ Salad

Friday: (CP) Vegan Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins ; Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna w/ Garlic Bread

Saturday: Vegan Breakfast Casserole (prep Friday night) ; Homemade Pizza

Sunday: (CP) Free for All Breakfast ; Vegetarian Irish Stew


*In case you're interested, here's what my notations mean:
(CP) = Crock Pot These are the days that we're loaded with activities.
(F) = Favorite Dad is out twice a month so we eat all of our vegetarian favorites. Can anyone say tofu?
(E) = Easy These are the nights that we have somewhere to be straight after dinner. The need for speed means nothing fancy from The Food Network!
(D) = Dad's Favorite Since we get a favorite certain nights HE gets a favorite certain nights. Fair is fair!

See, it's not a mundane task. It's an adventure when you link up to hundreds of others! So hop over to I'm An Organizing Junkie and take part. What are YOU having for dinner?



No comments: