Sunday, November 14, 2010

Gratitude Challenge Days 11 - 13 Catching up!



Welcome to the "Stephanie Catches Up" Gratitude Challenge Post! This has been a tough week!

Our daughter has been sick.

I've been sick.

Our dogs have been sick.

My grandfather is still sick.

I'm feeling like everyone is sick!

Needless to say, I got behind in the blog and challenge. I still thought of all of the things that I was thankful for, I just didn't have the time or energy to get them posted. So....

The Catch Up Post!

November 11: I am thankful for our service men and women! My grandfathers both served... one in the Navy, one in the Army. I am blessed with friends who have given their lives to protect our freedom. I am blessed with friends who wait at home while their loved ones give their lives. It's almost an incomprehensible gift that they all give to us. How can we ever know what each has given up? We talk about how they leave their friends and family, but they also leave their hobbies, passions, loves. They give up the ability to truly relax to serve their country. They give up the joy of doing something just because they want to for us - some appreciative, some not. They give up the mundane that we take for granted (and they probably miss more than they expected!) It's the big and the little sacrifices that make up the gift that they give us. My thanks to all those who have served, past and present.

November 12: I'm thankful for technology! My mom has been traveling to the hospital that my grandfather is in. A lot. She makes this two-hour drive as often as she can around her work schedule. (She's a nurse, so this means that she is able to go multiple times a week if her schedule allows.) She's been able to keep in contact with us as she needs to through cell phones and text messages. The hospital has been able to reach her at a moment's notice if necessary. How wonderful is this! Not too long ago one would miss an important update if they were running errands. Or they would have to find a pay phone (and hope that they had change in their pockets) to call family for support. It's a little thing, and possibly odd to some, but I am thankful that she has been able to reach us - and be reached - when needed.

November 13: I've said it before, but yesterday I was thankful for my husband and daughter once again. I was in bed or on the couch nearly all of yesterday, and they took great care of me! From making me food to washing all of the dishes and everything in between, it was all taken care of for me. I am thankful that I have a family that spends so much time together (and enjoys it!) I was able to rest and somewhat recover, and I know that when I need help today they will be there to lend a hand. :)

I'm staying home from church to rest today, but hopefully I'll be back to regular posting this week. I've missed it! I've been finding some great holiday blogs to follow... lots of foodie, crafty, holiday fun. Hopefully I'll get posts up to share that this week! I've learned to let go of the mommy guilt. We get sick. We get behind. And it's fine. (My stress level thanks ME for that one!)

If you'd like to join the challenge there are still many days of gratitude left! Join at the Garden of Learning linked above or on the right side of the blog.

No comments: